WHAT I BELIEVE ABOUT FOOD
- The Standard American Diet (SAD) is making us sick, and slowly killing us.
- As a nation, we have become way too carb dependent - especially refined carbs.
- I believe that all of the food groups were given to us by God for our health, nutrition, and enjoyment. In their natural form, all foods are healthy, and have their place in our day to day diet.
- I also believe that those same foods have been corrupted and infected, and that what passes for food is not really food in it's natural form. Many people eat more refined, chemically processed, and artificially made "food-like" products than they do real food.
- We as a nation have been duped into believing that a low-fat diet is the healthiest way to eat. Why then, after 30-40 years of that indoctrination are we the most obese, most cancer-ridden, with more childhood illnesses than we've ever had?
- Our bodies need good healthy fats in order to function properly.
- Refined Sugar is not a food.
HOW WE EAT
- We eat all of the food groups. Meats, Dairy, Grains, Vegetables, Fats, Fruits, Nuts and Seeds...
- Unless it comes naturally low fat or fat free from it's source, we don't eat anything low fat or fat free.
- We eat healthy real saturated fats (organic, fresh butter, coconut oil, lard...)
- We don't eat processed & refined vegetable oils (no corn oil, or soy oil, or canola oil - have you ever heard of a canola plant?)
- We eat lots of fruits and vegetables - raw and cooked
- We eat grass-fed, humanely raised local beef, pork, and pastured chicken and eggs.
- We eat wild caught fish and seafood
- We eat local, lightly processed dairy products, and raw cheeses
- We eat small amounts of natural sweeteners. Raw Local honey, Maple Syrup, Coconut Palm Sugar are our main choices for sweeteners.
- We eat Gluten Free. No wheat, rye, barley, spelt, or kamut.
- We DO NOT eat perfectly. I firmly believe in the 80/20 principle. Okay, maybe the 90/10 principle is more like it...where as long as we are eating this way 80-90% of the time, I'm not going to stress about the other 10-20%. So, if my son is offered ice cream, I don't have to freak out. :-) Except for the Gluten. That one really makes us sick, so we try as best we can to keep Gluten-Free 100% of the time. Oh, and also food colorings. Artificial Food Colorings are horrendous, and the little guy cannot tolerate them - so those are also on the 100% gone list.