Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"These Taste Like Real" Chocolate Chip Cookies

I admit it.  I've had some real bombs in my attempts at gluten-free, sugar-free cooking and baking.  Especially the baking.   I am not a baker, even with gluten & sugar.  I LOVE to cook, because I love being able to just grab what's available, and make something delicious from it.  To me, Cooking is an art form.  Baking - that's more of a science, and I usually don't have the patience or attention span for it.  That's why I'm always wondering if the cookie recipe I'm looking at can be made into a batch of bar cookies.  So much quicker and easier!

But - I love my guys, and so I bake.  To them, baking cookies is an act of love.  They really don't care what's for dinner,  as long as they know that there are fresh baked cookies on the counter.    The meat and veggies for dinner are just a means to an end - DESSERT!
And to them, all other cookies pale in comparison to chocolate chip cookies.  So, when we started on this Adventure of GF/SF/CF...and everything else free, I started searching for a GREAT chocolate chip cookie recipe.   A good recipe wouldn't do, I needed one that would be amazing.    I tried a lot of them, none of them quite right, and finally, came up with my own.   I pulled recipes from several different sources, and took the best of each one, and created a cookie that gets the two ultimate compliments.  First, I was told that "these cookies taste like real chocolate chip cookies",  and then "you are the best cooker in the world" followed swiftly by "can I have another one?".

I wanted a cookie that would be higher in protein (hence the almond flour - there are two brands that I recommend  - I've only been able to find them online, but they are WAY better than any I've found in the stores around here.)  Almond flour also lessens the carb impact of the cookie, making it a snack/dessert that doesn't send Micah bouncing into the walls.  
I also used coconut palm sugar  - This has become my sweetener of choice most of the time when I'm baking.   It's nutrient dense, low glycemic, tastes fantastic (like brown sugar, but with a hint of caramel) and can be used on a 1:1 ratio with sugar in recipes.   LOVE it!   I cut down the sugar in the cookies - most recipes with this amount of flour call for at least 1 1/2 cups sugar.  I used 1 cup coconut palm sugar...but that's just because we are used to less sweet.

"These Taste Like Real" Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 Cup Almond Flour (lightly packed)Blanched Almond Meal Flour, 5 lb.,JK Gourmet Almond Flour, 16 Ounce Box (Pack of 2)
3/4 Cup Oat Flour (gluten free) Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour, 22-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4)
1/2 Cup Millet or Brown Rice Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum  (this one is corn free) Authentic Foods Xanthan Gum
1 Cup butter or coconut oil, softened.  Spectrum Naturals - Coconut Oil Organic, 14 oz liquid
1 Cup coconut palm sugar  Big Tree Farms SweetTree Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, Blonde, 16-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips - I use these - Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 10 Oz
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1.  Heat Oven to 375F
2.  Stir together Flours, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
3.  In another large bowl (I use my Kitchenaid mixer) beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.  Add eggs, and beat well.
4.  Gradually add flour mixture, again beating well.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
5.  Using a 2 Tbls. Cookie Scoop, drop onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool slightly and remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.  

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe I didn't post how much I like these cookies. I won't be having any for some time because of the grains and sugar which I'm not eating right now. But, they are delicious when using the full 1 cup of chocolate chips. I made a second batch and just used the rest of the chips I had from the bag, and there wasn't quite a cup in it. Some people don't need the chocolate like I need it in the cookies, so maybe less is okay for others. Thank you very much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick and Micah need the full cup of chocolate chips too.
    I won't be eating them for a while either, but it sure is nice to know that I can make a gluten-free, high fiber, high protein, low sugar cookie and have them taste so good!

    ReplyDelete